A Gasworks built by the Shoreditch Independent Gas Co. in the suburban area north of the City.
The works was, like Imperial’s Shoreditch site, off the Great Cambridge Road but to the west of it on what is now Laburnum Street. It had a frontage actually on the Regent’s Canal - lying between Haggerston and Kingsland Road bridges. The North London Railway was eventually to form its western boundary. An inlet for coal deliveries was built off the canal while was the works was being constructed.
For the first couple of years, the works proceeded without too much incident, although they were soon sued by the Regent’s Canal Company for disposing of effluent into the canal. Matthews has described what happened after the company’s shares had crashed in 1826 and a resulting enquiry in which the company was reconstituted