This is really just a list of names - but it might throw some light on the sort of people wishing to 'improve' a particular area.
The first list given below, that for the two local authority area in the east end of London, known as Mile End, is a mystery. The Act of Parliament, of 1818, is not for a gas company but giving a group of local people the right to light their area by gas. The following names must be a fairly typical list of a group of local traders and gentry who wanted to see gas lighting come to their area.
There is no real evidence that a gas works resulted from the Act. There is no gas works in the area around Mile End, which cannot be otherwise accounted for.
The strange thing is that this Act of Parliament was bound in with others relating to gas companies in the area and issued as reference material to the engineers of the various works of the Chartered Gas Light and Coke Company. Hence, they have been preserved in the London Metropolitan Archive. Why did these engineers need this Act? The area around Mile End was never really in the Chartered’s area of supply but was covered by the Stepney based Commercial Gas Company.
One explanation may be that the Engineers needed to have an Act of Parliament which gave them a right to supply in a specific area. It may be that someone else knows better!
William Anderson: This is a common name. One possible candidate is the Engineer of the Grand Junction Waterworks, who gave his address as Cannon Row, Westminster or, a North American Merchant, Merchant Taylors' Co. and a member of the City of London Corporations’ Court of Common Council
Daniel Austin: Sugar Refiner of Mile End Old Town and Dock Street. Austin acted, as agent to the owner of what became the Tredegar Estate in Bow, letting the land and supervising development. By 1829 he was bankrupt.
Peter Bacon: Described as a gentleman, Union Row, Wapping.
Isaac Bird: Greyhound Lane, Whitechapel, coachmaker and horse dealer. An Isaac Bird had a mansion house in Great Canfield, Essex in this period.
James Boote: Also subscribed to the Whitechapel Road Company. In 1798 had been the Master of the Butchers Company.
Jonas Brown: Coal merchant, Wellclose Square. A Jonas Brown owned Newton House at Ugglebarnby near Whitby in this period. A Brown family were also coal merchants in Whitby, maybe co-incidentally at Wellclose Square in Whitby.
Richard Carpenter: Also subscribed to the Whitechapel Road Co., publisher of 16 Aldgate High Street.
Nicholas Charrington, Jnr.: There were two Nicholas Charrington's at the Anchor Brewery, Mile End, in this period, one died 1827 and the other 1859. The brewery was a very large and important employer in this period. Both Charringtons lived at Low Leyton - but the family still owns the Layer Marney Tower in Essex. Also subscribed to the Whitechapel Road Company.
Nicholas Charrington: See above. Also subscribed to the Whitechapel Road Company.
John Curtis: Probably the father of William Curtis ‘Sir Billy Biscuit’. A ships biscuit maker, lived at Mile End.
Thomas Daplyn: timber merchant, St Anne's Place, Limehouse.
John Hayward Varnish maker with a large factory, friend and joint patentee with Bessemer. Early subscriber to the Royal College of Chemistry giving an address at 20 Lambs Conduit Street
John Knight: Oil and colourman, 1 Ratcliffe Highway. Son of a Hertfordshire farmer. In the 1830s opened a soapworks in Old Gravel Lane Wapping. Knight of "Knight's Castile"
Gilbert Liddiard: Oil of vitriol and bleaching powder maker, Ocean Street, Stepney. Said to be one of the first works in London to make sulphuric acid in the chamber process.
William Maltby: Chemical Manufacturer, Assembly Place, Mile End.
Aristides Franklin Mornay: Roman cement manufacturer, Limehouse in 1822.
John Edward Nettlefold: Woodford, glassmaker.
Benjamin Nettlefold: (See John Nettlefold above).
William Overton: Plater and Coach Founder, 29 Litchfield Street, Newport Market.
Richard Waldegrave Packer: Oil and Salt merchants, 54 Upper Thames Street. Son of Richard Packer, born in 1789 he became rector of Woodton in Norfolk and inherited the Earldom of Waldegrave (although he never claimed it).
Richard Packer: Active member of the Methodist Foundry Chapel who became mate on an East India Company ship. He retired to East London to become Town Clerk of Mile End Old Town and Beadle, although he was blind.
James Peppercorn: 1846 lived 12 Lower Belgrave Street.
George Pritchard: Asphaltum and essential oil manufacturer, Battlebridge also of Lincoln's Inn Fields, Gent.
John Swaine: Draughtsman and engraver.
Nicholas Temperly: Sugar Refiner, 34 Gloucester Road, Whitechapel Road.
William Wade: also invested in South Metropolitan.
Thomas Windle: Windle and Byron, oil and colourmen, 50 Whitechapel High Street and Old Montague Street.
John Cannon: brushmaker, Commercial Road.
Thomas Mills. A Thomas Mills at lived Great Saxham Hall, near Bury St. Edmonds.
Unidentified: it should be noted that most of these surnames, run through a search engine, find a large number of UK sites with similar names in Essex and Hertfordshire.
John Samuel Ackroyd, John Boyce, George Boyce, Thomas Bore, Henry Caulier
Peter Christie – name of a family of brewers at Hoddesden, Herts.
William Nathaniel Curtis,Patrick Dingwall,George Dowers ,Henry Dowsland,William Drisdale, Andrew Duncan, Diedrerick Helmers, George Turney, Joseph Wild, James Brown