Search This Blog

Saturday, 8 August 2009

Pearson and the gas industry

Charles Pearson Jnr. was closely involved with the local gas industry. He was an original Board member of the Bankside based South London Gas Company and became their auditor. He was on friendly social terms with its originator, George Munro. In 1822 an accident at the gas works - which must have been at Bankside - kept young Charles and his wife Amelia in town for the night. This does not seem to have continued when they were taken over by the Phoenix Gas Company in 1824. in the early 1820s the Greenwich vestry had subsidised a Mr. Gosling to build a gas works on the Greenwich bank of the Creek - to be called the Ravensbourne Gas Company. This failed and in 1825 it was taken over and a new works opened in Thames Street by the Phoenix Company, which already operated successfully at Bankside. By the time that Phoenix came to Greenwich Pearson had changed sides and acted for the local authority rather than the gas company. He continued with these connections as a chemical manufacturer and himself bought ammoniacal liquor from the gas industry. In 1833 he enquired about prices from the Imperial Gas Company and bought ammonia salts from Chartered.

No comments:

Post a Comment